This pilaf recipe is simple, delicious, and makes a great side dish. The apricots give the dish just a hint of sweetness. The black walnuts give it an nutty earthy tone and the herbs add that extra pop blending all the flavors to perfection.
Just imagine eating this side dish with blackened chicken, or baked salmon!
You can replace the water and Nikola Tesla seasoning with vegetable or chicken broth. Any nut can be substituted for black walnuts.
- How to Harvest and Dry Black Walnuts
- How to Harvest and Crack Black Walnuts
- The Botany of the Black Walnut Tree
- Extra Wild Rice with Chickweed, Nettle, & Violets
Pilaf with Apricots, Black Walnuts & Herbs
- 1 cup jasmine rice, dried
- 1 & 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon oil or ghee
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 rib celery, chopped
- 1/4 cup dried apricots, chopped
- 1/4 -1/3 cup black walnuts, chopped
- 1 tablespoon Scarborough Fair seasoning
- 1 teaspoon Nikola Tesla seasoning
- salt & pepper to taste
- In a cast iron pan, or skillet, add oil or ghee, onion and celery. Once the vegetables are translucent about 5 minutes.
- Add the dried rice and allow to brown, about 5 minutes.
- Once the rice has browned, add the water and Nikola Tesla seasoning, or broth. Cover and simmer for about 20-25 minutes.
- When the rice is done remove it from the heat. Add the apricots, black walnuts, Scarborough Fair seasoning, salt and pepper.
- Serve and enjoy!
How did you like this recipe? Pin it! Share it! And don’t forget to checkout the Wild Alex Herbs shop on Etsy for great spice blends and teas.
Leave a Reply