Soup is my favorite food. Soup can be whatever you want it to be and its loaded… LOADED with nutrients and flavor. The key is the broth. The broth can be as simple or as complicated as you want it be. Chicken Noodle Soup is a favorite in my house so, I thought I’d share my recipe with you.
This post contains affiliate links. As an associate I earn from qualifying purchases and you help support this website. Thanks!
What’s in the Soup?
One of the very cool things about soup is that you can hide food in it. LOL. It’s true. Don’t like onions, add it to the broth and strain it. No one will know it was even there, but you still get all the nutrients from the root. You can hide things by cutting them small enough that they just blend in. I do this with bone marrow when I make a beef soup.
For this soup I use parsnips, carrots, and celery. I don’t add onion or garlic because I add it to my homemade broth but, you can surely chop them up and add them to your soup. Herbs including thyme, bay and parsley add a great flavor. Make your very own homemade chicken broth using this recipe.
Cooked chicken and noodles are added at the end. I like to use turmeric noodles when I have them around. They are so tasty and they add a nice yellow color to the soup. But any kind of noodle will do, like these awesome dinosaur pasta noodles that please my children.
My husband introduced me to the addition of nutmeg as a garnish in chicken noodle soup. It is surprisingly wonderful. Give it a whirl.
Balkan Seasoning is a soup base I like to use. It’s actually a blend I mixed up and have available on my Etsy shop. I encourage you to try it. It has carrots, parsnip, onion, turmeric, nettle, parsley, curry, and other spices. It really adds to the soup.
Both of these make wonderful additions to this recipe. Give them a try and let me know what you think.
And now, drum roll please…… The recipe. Enjoy. Pin, please.
Herby Chicken Noodle Soup
- 4 cups homemade chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 3 cups cooked chicken
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 parsnip, chopped
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons Balkan seasoning*
- 10 sprigs fresh parsley, chopped
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Nutmeg* -optional garnish
- 8 ounce noodles
- In a soup pot bring the broth and water to a boil.
- Reduce to medium-low heat. Add the vegetables, bay leaf, thyme and Balkan seasoning (you can substitute the Balkan seasoning with dried chicken or veggie broth). Cook until vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Return the soup to a boil. Add the noodles and cook for the length of time directed on the package.
- Add the chicken, parsley, salt and pepper.
- Remove the bay leaf and thyme sprig.
- Ladle soup into bowls. Sprinkle with a pinch of nutmeg. Enjoy!
Leave a Reply